To see Beverley Minster in Superzoom click the link below
In the East Riding market town of Beverely, once one of the largest towns in Britain c1370, the Minster is famous for it’s twin Perpendicular Gothic towers, which were the inspiration for Westminster Abbey. Dedicated to St John of Beverley who founded the original monastery c700, his bones still lie under the nave.
It suffered over time as did most of these fine buildings – lost in 1188 to fire and damaged beyond repair in 1213 when the central tower collapsed. Re building began around 1220 and continued for 200 years, leaving us with the magnificent building we have to day. Due to the long period of construction all three types of Gothic architecture can be seen, from Early English, through Decorative to Perpendicular.
A collegiate church run by Canons, hence it’s Minster status. This was granted following the visit by King Athelstan in 937 who prayed before the shrine of St John before fighting the Scots. He won a great victory, and subsiquently all English Kings traditionally visited Beverely Minster before an important battle. Henry V gave thanks there on his return from the battle of Agincourt, where the banner of St John was carried before the King during the battle along with that of St George.